Saturday, December 14, 2013

On Stating One's Opinion

Among the most common errors I see in beginning writing is misuse and overuse of phrases such as "in my opinion." I mentioned this previously in my piece on avoiding redundancy, but it's such a complex issue that it's worth a closer look. There are good reasons to say that something is your opinion, but most of the time, it actually detracts from your writing.

The basic problem with saying "in my opinion" is that, almost by definition, it's redundant. When you put your name on top of an essay or sign it at the bottom of a web page, you're saying that everything contained therein is, by default, your opinion. If something in your writing is not your opinion, the reader expects to see a citation, but that expectation doesn't cut both ways.

Another sort of error comes from the specific phrase used to express an opinion. Writing "in my own personal opinion" isn't just redundant; it's unnecessarily wordy. Using this phrase instead of "in my opinion" is filler; it contributes nothing to your writing besides taking up space.

Still, there are some good reasons to use "opinion" phrases. Here are a couple:

Careful Statements: Remember, redundancy is unnecessary repetition. Sure, it's repetitive to say "in my opinion" when you've already put your name on the essay, but sometimes it's good to remind the reader. In particular, if you're making a somewhat controversial statement, you may want to clarify that it's a statement of opinion, not fact. Just be careful: Say it too often, and you'll start to sound like even you aren't sure about what you're saying.

Emphasis: It may be a little wordy, but I love the phrase "It is my opinion that..." There are few more powerful ways to start off a concluding statement in a somewhat formal essay. In less formal contexts, phrases such as "in my opinion" and "I believe" can serve the same purpose. Using these phrases sparingly draws a distinction between things that you accept as true and things that you affirm as true.

Think of "opinion" phrases as a red highlighter, a mark that screams "hey, this is important!" Use them judiciously, and you'll emphasize parts of your writing in a way that makes your overall meaning clearer. Use them too much, and you may as well not use them at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment